Friday 3 April 2009

Hello my dear faithful readers. That is, if I have any left after having seriously neglected my duties in providing you with up to date bloggs about my mis adventures in London. Though my time here in London is comming to a close, do not dispair! I have yet more tales of heroism, creepy Europeans, oddly shaped ducks, men in kilts and tours on the underground to tell you yet.

Though, most of these took place several weeks ago and are so lengthy and wondrous that they will have to be told in blogs all their own. I'm sure you will enjoy them better that way. So, I will update continually over the next three days in order to provide you three tales (and perhaps more if time allows) of woe, friendship, daring and lostness (yes, again) in the land across the pond.

For today it seems only fitting that I should tell you that spring has seen fit to visit us in foggy England. So much so that I took a little trip a few days ago to South Bank where I bought a softserve ice cream and met a very nice young man playing something called a "hang". It's a type of precussion instrument which was invented in 2000 apparently. Everyone was out and about on the banks of the tames that day. It was nearly 60 degrees, which is very cold to you Texans I know, but for the brits, that's sun bathing weather. The sun was out, dogs were barking, and I was near my adopted home at the Globe. All was right with the world.

Of course then I had to go home in order to finish a nine page paper on Surrealism which was due the next day. Life has funny ways of distracting you. Like creating a day of perfection outside when you know you should be inside studying for a test or writing a nine page paper. It is also ironic that, just as your about to settle in for a long night of post procrastination cramming, the internet in your entire house shut down completely.

Yes, the internet, complete with my copy of the Surrealist Manifesto, copies of the Ernst painting I was critiqueing and all the sourses I found on Wikipedia were gone. Apparently someone in the house's computer caught a virus and it spread to the whole system. Needless to say, I was in a bit of a panicked state. Everyone else simply picked up and went to Mcdonalds (where they have free wi-fi). I simply gave the paper up as a bad job, set my alarm for early in the morning and went to bed. I woke up, took the saved copy of my paper to school the next morning and finished it there (with exactly one minute till the start of class).

God saved me on that one I think. Though, I also have a sneaking suspicion he may have had fun with the whole viral internet thing.

It's part of this sense of humor God has I think. He'll be very serious about the big things in life (in other words what we NEED), but when it comes to the little things (what we WANT), well...he can tease us a bit with that.

For example, my very good friend David's girlfriend recently decided that she would shave her full head of long hair completely off for charity. Now noble a cause as it may be, David was having issues with going along with it because he really, really likes long hair. Of course, being the good boyfriend he is, he was perfectly supportive and even put up a donation. But the night after she had decided to go through with it, David and I went to see an Opera entitled Dr. Automic (for more on this see the upcomming post entitled "Riding on Sondheim's Coat Tails: Failings of the Contemporary Opera world in the words of Rachel Marie Keeler"). Anyway, in the second scene of the first act, there is a rather long aria in which the main character talks extensively and poetically about his wife's hair. At intermission David turned to me and said, almost completely straight faced: "I think God's taunting me". This, I think, rather proves my point. (And I do hope David won't be horribly embarassed by my posting this story for the world to read and point and laugh at. You know I do it out of love :)).

Anyway, I think that's enough London adventure for one post. The internet's still out so the majority of us are camped out in the school lab or in Mcdonalds, (I think a few people were talking about moving their pillows, sheets etc into Mcd's so that they could sleep there as well ;)). So, internet permitting, stay tuned for more mis-london adventures which will include but are not limited to: Speaker's Corner:The tour! The Return of the European Creeper, the Trip to Edinborough, the Trip to the Land of Awesome via meeting Awesome Harry Potter people, and the Tower of London for free via a sleepy man on a Motor Bike. Until Next time my dear readers, Good fortune and bad will most certainly be yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment